To celebrate the end of school and the beginning of summer, I wanted to make some cookies she could enjoy after school this week. These chocolate cake mix cookies have a crisp outer ‘shell’ with a cake like center.
I wanted a new twist on the traditional ‘chip’ cookie. These cookies are made with a cake mix and cream cheese which gives them a cake like consistency, with a crisp outer shell. Because they are made with cake mix the options are as varied as the available cake mix flavors.
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 box devils food cake mix
- 1 cup vanilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Add egg and vanilla, mix until well blended
- Slowly add cake mix, stirring until all is incorporated
- Add vanilla chips
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet
- Bake 10 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned
- Cool on cooling rack.
These cookies can be made with any flavor cake mix and any coordinating flavored chips or sprinkles.
I made these cookies with vanilla chips, but they would be just as irresistible with peanut butter chips, or if you really like chocolate, add chocolate chips to dark chocolate cake cookies. Spice cake cookies with Reese pieces would be perfect for Halloween or Thanksgiving. If you opted to shape the dough into balls instead of dropping by spoonfuls, you could top with a Hershey kiss. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination and the flavors of cake mixes.
When asked about the cookies, Zoe said “These are amazing!! It’s like a cookie and cake got together and made a cakie!”